Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Distaff Half

A couple of weeks ago, I was tagged with a Facebook meme asking me to take 15 minutes to list 15 albums that would always stay with me. My friend Louisa McCune saw some value in my list and was gracious enough to point it out to her own friends. One of Louisa's friends then pointed out that it was "sad" that I hadn't listed any female-oriented acts.

I had noticed that myself, and it was kind of sad. I almost wrote down Bettie Serveert's Palomine as I was finishing up, but then I remembered that I had been listening to an awful lot of Leonard Cohen lately and really ought to include something by him, and Bettie Serveert went by the wayside. In my defense, if it had been 15 Singles in 15 Minutes, "Ode to Billie Joe," "You're So Vain" and "Both Sides Now" would have been near the top, although I don't necessarily attach those songs to a specific album.

But that's not much of a defense: Women make a lot of great records. I could have made an entire list of 15 albums that were strongly estrogen-influenced. So I thought, why not? Here's the other half of my Facebook list:

Bettie Serveert, Palomine

Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark

PJ Harvey, Dry

Ella Fitzgerald, Best of the Songbooks

The Breeders, Last Splash

Back to Mono
, a Phil Spector box set featuring the best of the Ronettes, the Crystals, and Darlene Love, among many others

Sleater-Kinney, The Hot Rock

Silversun Pickups, Swoon

The Carter Family, Wildwood Flower

Dusty Springfield, Dusty in Memphis

Fleetwood Mac, Rumours

Pizzicato Five, Made in USA

The Pretenders, The Pretenders

Dionne Warwick, The Dionne Warwick Collection

Throwing Muses, The Real Ramona

No comments:

Post a Comment